[Dspace-general] Interchanging Handle and DOI

Richard Jones richard at symplectic.co.uk
Thu May 14 06:04:34 EDT 2009

Hi Leone,

> Hi there
>
> Can anyone tell me if there might be any unexpected problems using a handle with the doi prefix
>
> It would be easier for us to promote DOI to our academics as they already understand what DOI's are.
>
> Example
>
> http://dx.doi.org/2292/4241
>
> http://hdl.handle.net/2292/4241
>
> It seems to work fine and there is no delay in resolving them.
>
> Does anyone else do this?

I've used this "trick" in the past too.  Since DOIs are just Handles in
the "10" namespace, you will find that dx.doi.org and hdl.handle.net are
actually just aliases for the same thing.  So there oughtn't to be any
problem with doing this.

Cheers,

Richard

--
Richard Jones
Head Repository Systems Architect, Symplectic Limited
e: richard at symplectic.co.uk
t: 0845 026 4755
t: +44 (0)207 7334036
w: http://www.symplectic.co.uk/