[Dspace-general] About the Ingest Item through LNIclient.java and DspaceSIP.java

Robin Wang greenstone at live.de
Tue May 5 14:59:21 EDT 2009

Hi everyone,
I want to ask some questions about the ingest item process through the LNI.

We know that DSpace offered the unofficial Version of JAVA Code for DSpaceSIP  and LNIClient which for PUT Method are.

With the Combination of the two JAVA Class we can write a minimal LNIClient for ingest function.

1.    The DSpaceSIP is used to build the SIP Package with the original File and METS File. The original Files are converted to outputstream and the SIP is zipped. Question is whether DSpace accept the ZIP OS of SIP. I know this is a foolish question but really want to know.

2.    What is the primaryBitstream in the DSpaceSIP?

3.    Can I just ignore the workflow for the ingest process in the WebUI, if I use the SIP to ingest the item in DSpace

4.  OutputStream os = lni.startPut(collection, "METS", null); Is the String “collection” write the WebDAV handle number of the collection, in which I want to ingest the new item.

5.  I have now 1000 PDF Files and the XML Metadaten Files in well-formated Bibtex and want to ingest the files in DSpace. Does DSpace-Server support the Bibtex Format to describe the PDF Files?? Can I just build the Bibtex instead of MODS or DC into the METS(dmdsec)? Or should I convert the Bibtex into QDC for the DSpace?

Regards
Robin