[Dspace-general] Fw: [nmlis] DSpace Workshop: experience

surendran cherukodan scherukodan at yahoo.com
Mon May 4 03:25:44 EDT 2009

--- On Thu, 30/4/09, SAVITHRY tk <savithrytk at yahoo.com> wrote:

From: SAVITHRY tk <savithrytk at yahoo.com>
Subject: [nmlis] DSpace Workshop: experience
To: nmlis at yahoogroups.com
Date: Thursday, 30 April, 2009, 12:53 PM

Dear Professionals,

         The Department of Library and Information Science, University of Kerala and Kerala State Council for Science and Technology (KSCSTE) jointly conducted a three- day workshop on DSpace (on Windows) from 23rd to 25th April 2009 at Dept.of Library and Information Science, University of Kerala . I am one of the participants of the workshop. The sections were handed by Dr. G. Santhosh Kumar, Faculty, Dept. of Computer Science,   and Sri.  Surendran Cherukodan , Junior Librarian, School of Engineering ,Cochin University of Science and  Technology who are working with CUSAT Digital Library using DSpace http://dspace. cusat.ac. in/dspace/

  We successfully installed DSpace 1.5.2 that just released on 15th April 2009 . We learned the concept of Communities/ Sub communities/ Collections/ Items in DSpace. We uploaded digital contents to communities. We were taught  to change the Logo of Dspace, Putting a picture as Welcome Message, Change Colour of Sidebar, Search box, Enabling RSS Feeds, Change a form value (Type of Content) , keeping backups etc.  The workshop gave thrust to hands on training. The participants were senior library professionals and system analysts from various organisations. The interactive sections were also very active.

My observations
1.      The main attraction of this workshop was that the organisers didn’t charge any fee. They provided course material both in hard and soft copy, lunch and kit free of cost.
2.      The well designed (with a lot of screen shots) course material was found to be an effective tool for easily installing DSpace without the help of anybody.
3.      The methods of instructions and interactions of resource persons and participants helped to understand the practical problems in creating, organising and maintaining   an Institutional repository, advantages of Dspace over other software’s etc.

4.      The workshop also helped to create confidence in participants in creating Institutional Repositories. Awareness about open source software was also important.

5.      The participants are very much thankful to the organisers.

    I would like to congratulate the resource persons and the organisers for organising such a wonderful workshop.

 Regards

Savithry T. K
Research Scholar
Dept. of Library & Information Science