[Dspace-general] Internal System Error by ingest a new item in demo collection

Robin Wang greenstone at live.de
Thu Jul 16 12:26:54 EDT 2009

Hallo Claudia,

I need your help again. I know that i have asked the same question in the mailing of dspace before. At last time you suggested me, that i chould change the dspace.cfg for mail server under /dspace/config.

1.   Because i have an other instance of dspace unter my ubuntu , so i writed the programm before with my dspace instance. But now my job is almost done, so i must switch the test instance to our dspace server at safran fernuni hagen. I changed the dspace.cfg just as you and my teacher suggested and restart the tomcat. But i got the error still.

# SMTP mail server
mail.server=localhost
# From address for mail
mail.from.address = dspace-noreply at localhost
# General site administration (Webmaster) e-mail
mail.admin = dspace-help at localhost

We have no mail server under safran. fernuni-hagen.de. so i can just set the mail server as localhost. So i need to know , where can i watch the protocol and how can i fix it.

2.  You also suggested me that i should check the permissions of the /dspace. The question is, what kind of the permission of dspace should been set, that i chould kill this error.

"As you get the error at an earlier stage, check your [dspace] dir permissions. The user, under which your servlet container runs, needs to
write to the upload dirctory and assetstore during ingest."

I have installed the dspace following the same protocol of installing the dspace 1.5 under ubuntu.
Why i have the internal error by ingesting the files in our safran server. but can ingest the file in my dspace without problem.
I really really need the help.
thank you and regards
robin