[Dspace-general] Change the way the collection list is displayed in submit link with JSPUI

Nancy Stuart nstuart at uvic.ca
Thu Jul 16 10:21:26 EDT 2009

Hello Patrick,

At the University of Victoria we have all students submit to one collection called ETD Collection.  It is the only choice they have to choose from on the dropdown list, as they only have permission to submit to the ETD Collection.   But you will notice on the public browse screen in UVicDSpace, that we have all our collections arranged by Faculty then Dept. and the ETD Collection is under the Faculty of Graduate Studies.

Each Faculty or Dept. wanted to have their own theses collections, so we created a Collection for them called Theses (Dept. of XYZ).  In DSpace you can map an item to another collection, called item mapping, so part of the archiving workflow is to map the thesis to the correct dept. collection.  Have a browse of our IR and you will see what I mean.  https://dspace.library.uvic.ca:8443/dspace/community-list

In Canada it is important to have all your student submitted ETDs in one collection because Library and Archives Canada will harvest that collection.  It would be problematic for LAC to harvest 25 different collections.  Any digitized backfiles of theses can be placed in a separate collection.

I am currently on study leave at LAC, so if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to contact me at nancy.stuart at lac-bac.bc.ca<mailto:nancy.stuart at lac-bac.bc.ca>

Regards,
Nancy