[Dspace-general] [Dspace-tech] search not working for new metadata I've added

Robin Taylor robin.taylor at ed.ac.uk
Thu Feb 19 09:03:30 EST 2009

Hi Andrew,

I too have been round this one and never reached a satisfactory solution. The Dublin Core spec states that one should "describes one resource", the problem with a journal article is that you want to decribe more than one resource eg. you want to record the title of the article AND the title of the parent publication. This is quite doable with Dublin Core, you just have two descriptions and link them. Off the top of my head you could use the 'isPartOf' term to link the article to the parent publication. But this would be a bit messy in Dspace because you would need to create dummy items representing the volumes and issues of the publication and link any articles to them. Alternatively you could link them to the real published Journals if they have URIs. All good in theory, in practice I have done what you suggest and added another namespace for the journal context terms.

Cheers, Robin.

Robin Taylor
Main Library
University of Edinburgh
Tel. 0131 6515208

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.