[Dspace-general] Do I have to pay for all handles used in DSpace?

MacKenzie Smith kenzie at MIT.EDU
Thu Apr 30 14:24:55 EDT 2009

Hi Andrew,

I'm a bit confusing by your question...

Are you wanting to put a DOI in the article's item record, in addition
to the default DSpace Handle? For example, a DOI assigned by the
publisher? In which case the Handle would resolve to DSpace but the DOI
would resolve to the publisher's copy. This is very straightforward to
do... lots of sites have implemented it (you can, for example, get the
DOS via a CrossRef search of the article metadata).

Or are you wanting to use DOIs instead of Handles for your DSpace? Which
is possible to do, but you'll have to join CrossRef or another DOI
registration agency first. There are some institutions doing that (e.g.
the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution) if you want more information
about how to change DSpace to use DOIs by default for article items. And
in this scenario, since DOIs are just another flavor of Handles there
are no additional technical changes needed.

MacKenzie