[Dspace-general] Do I have to pay for all handles used in DSpace?

Andrew Marlow marlow.andrew at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 29 03:57:54 EDT 2009

I am thinking about the handles used in DSpace and the relationship between
them and DOIs. I see that handles get used for all landing pages, not just
articles but journal homepage as well. This is nice and consistent but I
wonder what it means for a repository that uses DOIs as handles. So far I
have not used a public handle server but just used internal handles. I would
like to hear from DSpace users that have used external handles. How do they
relate to DOIs?

I would like to load my DSpace with articles that have amonst their metadata
a DOI. Effectively this is the handle, though it is not a CNRI handle. Is it
possible to make the input DOI the handle? What implication does this have
for journal homepages that do not have DOIs? In that case my DSpace would
have to use a CNRI handle I suppose......
--
Regards,

Andrew M.
http://www.andrewpetermarlow.co.uk