[Dspace-general] Repository Certification for DSpace ?

MacKenzie Smith kenzie at MIT.EDU
Wed Apr 22 09:54:45 EDT 2009

Hi Bram,

None of these certification processes designed for software alone
(i.e. DSpace) they're for preservation *organizations* and the
software they use.

At some point I reviewed the TRAC checklist for MIT and DSpace at MIT
but the results were specific to us. It was a lot of work to do, since it
involved many different people across the organization from the Archives,
Collections, Administration, Technology, and other departments.
There were no costs involved since we didn't try to get certified,
it was just for our own information. And we used that information to
refine our digital preservation strategy, but that was our decision.

As for your last question, the only organizations that I feel really need
the *certification* (i.e. blessing of an external agency) are those that
are selling or promising services to others. I've never quite seen the point
of private organizations certifiying theirselves... That said, it was a very
useful exercise to go through the checklist and since we could control
the costs, I'd say it was worthwhile.

MacKenzie

Bram Luyten wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was wondering if any of you went through one of the following
> initiatives for certifying your DSpace repository.
>
> TRAC Project (Center for Research Libraries)
> http://www.crl.edu/content.asp?l1=13&l2=58&l3=162&l4=91
> <http://www.crl.edu/content.asp?l1=13&l2=58&l3=162&l4=91>
>
> DINI Certification (German organization for networked information)
> http://edoc.hu-berlin.de/series/dini-schriften/2006-3-en/PDF/3-en.pdf
> (Driver guidelines are based on this)
>
> DRAMBORA (Digital Repository Audit Method Based on Risk Assessment)
> Toolkit
> http://www.repositoryaudit.eu <http://www.repositoryaudit.eu/>
>
> NESTOR certification
> http://www.langzeitarchivierung.de/downloads/mat/nestor_mat_08-eng.pdf
>
> If you did, a few questions:
>
> - How much effort was required from your side ?
> - How much effort was required from the side of the certification
> authority (if there was one) ? Were there any costs involved ?
> - Did your DSpace installation comply with the requirements of the
> certification right away, or did you have to make modifications//changes ?
> - If you had to modify your installation for compliance, was this
> because of your own customizations or decisions you made in your
> metadata profiles, or because of some DSpace-specific properties ?
> - Do you have any advice or comments for people who are looking at
> certification ? Is it worth the effort//costs ?
>
> with best regards,
>
> Bram Luyten
>
> @mire - http://www.atmire.com
>
> Technologielaan 9 - 3001 Heverlee - Belgium
> 533 2nd Street - Encinitas, CA 92024 - USA
>
> http://www.togather.eu - Before getting together, get Tog at ther

MacKenzie Smith
Associate Director for Technology
MIT Libraries