[Dspace-general] ldap problems

Roberts A.L. A.L.Roberts at swansea.ac.uk
Thu Apr 16 07:32:47 EDT 2009

Dear list,

I have been trying without success to get ldap to work correctly on DSpace 1.5.1. (tomcat 6.0) DSpace seems to be having a java problem which is preventing it from connecting to our secure ldap server.

The error I'm getting is:

2009-04-15 17:08:14,157 WARN  org.dspace.app.webui.servlet.LDAPServlet @ anonymous:session_id=8C46A185FA73CD18C709471670026A61:ip_addr=137.44.18.132:ldap_authentication:type=failed_auth javax.naming.CommunicationException: ccs-suld1.swan.ac.uk:636 [Root exception is java.net.SocketException: java.security.NoSuchAlgorithmException: Error constructing implementation (algorithm: Default, provider: SunJSSE, class: com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.DefaultSSLContextImpl)]

My config file has the following:

#### Stackable Authentication Methods #####

# Stack of authentication methods
#  (See org.dspace.authenticate.AuthenticationManager)

plugin.sequence.org.dspace.authenticate.AuthenticationMethod = \
       org.dspace.authenticate.PasswordAuthentication, \
org.dspace.authenticate.LDAPAuthentication

#### LDAP Authentication Configuration Settings ####

ldap.enable = true

ldap.provider_url = ldaps://ccs-suld1.swan.ac.uk/

ldap.id_field = cn

ldap.object_context = ou=staff,ou=Swansea,o=SWANUNI

ldap.search_context = ou=staff

ldap.email_field = mail

ldap.surname_field = sn

ldap.givenname_field = fullName

ldap.phone_field = telephoneNumber

Our ldap server uses a certificate which I have imported into the tomcat keystore so this should not be a problem.

My only guesses based on googling are that the jsse.jar is not being added to the tomcat classpath (which I have tried to fix but not sure) or that the ldap server requires a password to connect. Our other webapps all use a password to connect to the ldaps server but I can't see anywhere to put one in the DSpace config.

Any help appreciated.

Regards
Alexander

Mr. Alexander Roberts