[Dspace-general] [Dspace-tech] Week 5: Submission process

Shane Beers sbeers at gmu.edu
Mon Sep 15 11:55:52 EDT 2008

We are running on 1.4.2.

Starting with pros:
- It works!
- It's configurable on a collection by collection basis, although the
way different input forms get assigned to collections is abominable.

Cons:
- When one begins a submission from "My DSpace" instead of the
collections page, the list of collections is completely flat and in
alphabetical order. This does not reflect the organization of the
collections and makes it difficult to locate the collection you wish
to deposit into.

- The first page with the checkboxes is essentially useless. The
number of items that have translated titles or more than one file are
so few that it's just another step to avoid.

- I don't really understand why the metadata entry needs to be split
into two screens. It should be organized into REQUIRED and OPTIONAL
areas and allow users to easily see what they have to do. Perhaps I am
able to do this and simply haven't dug in that deeply?

- The file uploaded successfully screen, while informative to IR
managers, is just another step no one else really cares about and just
has to hit another "Next >" button.

- Additionally, the Verify Submission page is something even I never
check, as I assume I deposited it just fine. Just another step for
people to click through and not actually read.

- We continue to have issues with the creative commons function for
some users. It works perfectly fine for me on my mac and other PCs
I've used, but one user on a perfectly normal PC has issues. I have
not been able to diagnose this.

- Upon completion of submission, the left navigation bar disappears
and could confuse users.

----

I feel that the submission process in 1.4.2 is far too clumsy for
anyone who isn't truly interested in the IR, and would turn off most
casual users. I'm trying to move us to a 1-page submission form that
will allow faculty here to quickly enter in what I consider the
essential metadata elements and upload their document. Additionally, a
selection pull-down allows the user to say what part of the University
they are a part of, which corresponds to a directory on the server.
Their document, dublin_core.xml (which gets generated by the form
through some php - thanks goes out to our web guru), contents file,
and license all get filed into a new subdirectory within the correct
root directory. This will allow me to more easily run the batch
importer, since you can only run it for items going into a single
collection. This process will also not require users to actually sign
up for access to the IR, which is an obstacle as well.

I'll be testing this this week and will share it as soon as I know
it's working.

Shane Beers
Digital Repository Services Librarian
George Mason University