[Dspace-general] Week 4: Bitstream types (Dorothea Salo)

Mark H. Wood mwood at IUPUI.Edu
Tue Sep 9 10:00:12 EDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 08:00:50AM -0500, Dorothea Salo wrote:
> 2008/9/8 Peter Walgemoed <peterwalgemoed at carelliance.com>:
> > I fully agree with Mark's suggestion. A/V as well as Medical Imaging is not
> > something you would like to deal with as a generic repository service.
>
> Assuredly true. That doesn't mean I don't have to.

But you *don't* have to.  Somebody already invented RealPlayer.
Somebody already invented Adobe Reader.  Somebody already invented
word processors, networked version control systems, text pagers, slide
sorters, etc.  As somebody invented DSpace.  What we need is to bolt
them all to a well-designed panel and invent the wiring that connects
them.  The panel becomes The Machine, and all the various sub-machines
disappear behind it, although they still exist as discrete components
that can be replaced individually as needed.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mwood at IUPUI.Edu
Typically when a software vendor says that a product is "intuitive" he