[Dspace-general] Week 3: Good Repository Software

Graham Triggs graham at biomedcentral.com
Mon Sep 8 11:02:27 EDT 2008

Mark H. Wood wrote:
> Are we having a communication problem here?  I think I see two
> different uses of the word "inside".  If "inside" means "designed and
> built and maintained as part of DSpace" then I have to say I think we
> should not do that.  If "inside" means "can easily be made to appear
> as part of a system which also includes DSpace" then that makes a lot
> of sense.

That's what I'm basically getting at - integrated services [should] mean
that people don't see the boundaries, even if the provision of those
services is distinctly separate.

As something of an illustration of the point, take a look at the BioMed
Central website - that's running across half a dozen machines, some
especially provisioned to do certain tasks. Even where different parts
of the website are running on the same machine, it is actually
implemented using a variety of different technologies and [computer]
languages.

But as a user - or author submitting a manuscript to one of the journals
- you wouldn't know what machine, what application server, what language
was used at any point during your interaction. It all just looks like
one continuous site.

And that's where a suite of applications should sit - a faculty member
should be able to access the 'library services' website, and within that
single url space there could be a CMS, a blog, a DSpace repository, a
collaboration service, and regardless of how many applications,
languages, servers, etc. are involved in delivering that, the experience
would be seamless and feel like there is just one application sitting
behind it.

This e-mail is confidential and should not be used by anyone who is not the original intended recipient. BioMed Central Limited does not accept liability for any statements made which are clearly the sender's own and not expressly made on behalf of BioMed Central Limited. No contracts may be concluded on behalf of BioMed Central Limited by means of e-mail communication. BioMed Central Limited Registered in England and Wales with registered number 3680030 Registered Office Middlesex House, 34-42 Cleveland Street, London W1T 4LB
This email has been scanned by Postini.
For more information please visit http://www.postini.com