[Dspace-general] Good repository software

Leonie Hayes l.hayes at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Sep 4 22:16:00 EDT 2008

Good Repository Software

I am taking the pragmatic line ... I have worked with some really really
bad software (not repository software) so this has probably coloured my
experience.

1. Good repository software should not crash, create errors, fall over
or become corrupted, 3-4 times a year is ok. DSpace works like a charm
here.

2. Good repository software should be able to be installed and supported
(given adequate resources) in a wide variety of institutions ranging
from small <50 people outfits, to large 1000 + institutions. DSpace fits
this mix.

3. Good repository software should without any customisation do the
basics of storing metadata and objects, apart from my issue with
statistics, DSpace performs that job.

4. Good repository software should be affordable, an although we don't
need to purchase software the cost of support staff is comparable to
other products.

5. Good repository software should be able to identify bugs, present
fixes, and provide a mechanism for technical problems to be solved. Most
of the problems we identify have been raised already by the community,
are mentioned very soon on the tech lists, and either we or someone else
usually comes up with the solution eventually.

6. Good repository software should not pretend to be better than what it
is, and bamboozle you with such complex configurations that you end up
at the mercy of your clients bending over to their every whim.
Supporting it becomes a nightmare and moving onward, upgrading or
migrating out of it is impossible because of the huge investment you
have made in the product. DSpace is honest software.

Leonie Hayes
Research Repository Librarian
http://www.library.auckland.ac.nz/contacts/?firstname=&lastname=hayes
http://researchspace.auckland.ac.nz