[Dspace-general] Week 3: Good Repository Software

wally grotophorst grotophorst at mac.com
Wed Sep 3 10:03:37 EDT 2008

I cheated too...and Dorothea's right.

DSpace, for all the many things it does well, really isn't yet a great
end-to-end solution if you're actually running a digital repository.
Stretch the system to store digital objects other than open-access
offprints and it begins to feel unnecessarily cramped.

I first got a copy of DSpace up and running in 2003.  At the time I
thought it was a lot more trouble than it should have been but
understood that I didn't know all that much about Tomcat, JSPs or
Postgres.  Here in 2008, I still don't know a lot about Java and JSPs
but I now realize that not all that many other people around the library
world do either.   When I see how little actual "work" DSpace does (I
mean, we're not talking about a transaction-based, real-time processing
sort of system), why such a complex codebase?  Sure, a certain amount of
over-engineering seems to accompany software projects that begin life in
the library but on some level it does seem to end up strangling
innovation...

I suspect that if the original development team had decided to code the
thing in PHP with a MySQL database, we'd be much further along in terms
of user-contributed code enhancement (think WordPress).     Of course,
if like my toaster it did everything I asked, I wouldn't much care what
the code looked like or why/how it worked.  So complaining about the
platform's code is my way of saying there are things that I'd like to
fix if I could.   Absent a rewrite of the code, I think these specific
things would help:

-- a way to address an individual bitstream--one that used the handle to
resolve the hostname.   I'd really like to be able to use other systems
for display and have DSpace focus on maintaining the bitstreams.

-- a quicker way to add content.  The simple "upload your stuff' way
that Flickr takes in a digital image and offers a few fields for
user-supplied metadata could be a big help in getting
faculty/researchers to add content.   This content could go into some
sort of "holding area" for review and post-upload editing, of course.
The design goal would be to help end users bypass the current
click-happy series of add-an-item pages.

-- in the absence of deleting content, some way to handle versioning of
documents

-- a way to "hide" content (and associated metadata) on both the item
level and the collection level.

Wally

Wally Grotophorst
Associate University Librarian