[Dspace-general] regarding installation of dspace1.5.1-release...

Mark H. Wood mwood at IUPUI.Edu
Tue Oct 21 09:20:44 EDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 05:23:17PM +0530, Shashank Sahni wrote:
>                     I am having a little problem while installing
> "dspace-1.5.1-release" while reading the installation procedure from the
> documents provided in the package itself i m supposed to create a dspace
> database owned by a dspace postgreSQL user by executing the following
> command.
>
> <createuser -U postgres -d -A -P dspace>

That creates a user, not a database, but you need to do that also.

>  when i execute the following command i am asked for password 2 times..after
> that a question pops asking me if i want this role to be able to create new
> roles. ( y/n) after my answering the question (i have tried both yes and no)
> it says..
>
> <createuser: could not connect to databse postgres: FATAL: Ident
> authentication failed for user postgres>

If Ident authentication failed, then PostgreSQL asked your host OS
what user sent the message containing the command, and the answer to
that question was not what it expected.  Check the ident map for user
'postgres' running on the host from which you issued the command.
Make certain that the OS user account you are using will be mapped to
the 'postgres' DBMS user account.  Also check to be sure that the host
is running an Ident daemon and that it is configured and operating
correctly.

The "create new roles" question should not be related to the problem
you have reported.  Either policy will do as far as DSpace is
concerned, so I would recommend "no".

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mwood at IUPUI.Edu
Typically when a software vendor says that a product is "intuitive" he