[Dspace-general] Launch of DSpace Foundation sponsor program

Michele Kimpton michele at dspace.org
Fri Oct 3 11:57:36 EDT 2008

Dear members of the community,

This week the DSpace Foundation has launched a sponsor program that
enables organizations interested in supporting the mission and role of
the DSpace Foundation to contribute directly to the non-profit
organization.

Over the next several weeks many of you ( or your Director) will be
receiving a mailing from the Foundation asking for your support, and
becoming a sponsor to the Foundation. Over the last year the DSpace
Foundation has been graciously supported by HP labs and M.I.T. During
this time we have put together a small team to begin working with the
community to provide support, infrastructure, coordination, and
guidance. We have developed partnerships with other organizations that
bring value to the community.  We have several key initiatives the
Foundation is actively working on based on your feedback through
surveys and direct communication which include:

-Leadership and funding to achieve DSpace 2.0
-Broader input into the development process from the community ( we
are launching a feature tracking tool called JIRA, and have formed a
global outreach committee within the community to help inform and lead
this process)
-Improved documentation and training
-Integration and support for add ons to the platforms
-Strategic partnerships with others that can add value and help in any
of these initiatives

In order for us to continue our work we need to raise additional
funding. We hope to get support from the community through our new
sponsorship program. This will be one of several components in
building a sustainable organization for the future.

The details of the sponsorship program can be found on the website(http://www.dspace.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=914&Itemid=276
). At this date we have mailed a brochure, personal letter and
sponsorship form to every organization we have contact details for. If
you did not receive a mailing and would like to receive one, please
email me your details and I will send one out. We appreciate your
support.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions on the
sponsorship program.

best,
Michele Kimpton
Executive Director, DSpace Foundation