[Dspace-general] Bulk Upload naming upload

Mark H. Wood mwood at IUPUI.Edu
Tue Nov 18 11:02:34 EST 2008

On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 03:41:09PM +0000, Luis Rodrigues wrote:
> I'm uploading multiple pages of a book. so:
> upload
>  --dir1
>    --page.pdf
>    --contents
>    --dublin_core.xml
> --dir2
>    --page.pdf
>    --contents
>    --dublin_core.xml
> --dir3
>    --page.pdf
>    --contents
>    --dublin_core.xml

> Each of the files gets an automatic id
> http://server/handle/123456789/943
> http://server/handle/123456789/944
> http://server/handle/123456789/945
>
> How can I make this number start at a given number and auto increment
> from there?

You can't.  There is a single Handle namespace used for all
communities, collections, and items.  Handles (123456789/943 and the
like) are meant to be completely abstract; any attempt to assign them
meaning within a subset of the repository's contents is bound to end
in frustration.  Each new community, collection, or item is assigned
the next serial number within the single handle namespace.

Facilities such as DSpace are more like a deck of needelsort cards
than they are like a filesystem.  You search by some combination of
characteristics of the content, not by name.

Why do you want to specify the handle values?  What would that allow
you to do?  There might be another (perhaps better!) way of doing it,
or DSpace might not be the right tool for this particular job.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mwood at IUPUI.Edu
Friends don't let friends publish revisable-form documents.