[Dspace-general] DSpace 1.4.2 and LDAP

BANDARA, Swarna swarna.bandara at uwimona.edu.jm
Fri May 23 08:36:31 EDT 2008

Darryl

Please see this links
.
http://www.sfr-fresh.com/unix/www/dspace-1.4.2-source.tgz:a/dspace-1.4.2-source/CHANGES

http://www.sfr-fresh.com/unix/www/dspace-1.4.2-source.tgz/

The following paragraph comes from
http://www.dspace.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=156

If you use LDAP or X509 authentication, you'll need to add
org.dspace.eperson.LDAPAuthentication or
org.dspace.eperson.X509Authentication respectively. See also
configuring custom authentication code.

If you have custom Media Filters, note that these are now configured
through dspace.cfg (instead of mediafilter.cfg which is obsolete.)

Also, take a look through the default dspace.cfg file supplied with
DSpace 1.4.x, as this contains configuration options for various new
features you might like to use. In general, these new features default
to 'off' and you'll need to add configuration properties as described
in the default 1.4.x dspace.cfg to activate them.

Your 'localized' JSPs (those in jsp/local) now need to be maintained in
the source directory. If you have locally modified JSPs in your
[dspace]/jsp/local directory, you will need to merge the changes in the
new 1.4.x versions into your locally modified ones. You can use the
diff command to compare your JSPs against the 1.4.x versions to do
this. You can also check against the DSpace CVS.

In [dspace-1.4.x-source] run:

ant -Dconfig=[dspace]/config/dspace.cfg updateThe database schema needs
updating. SQL files containing the relevant file are provided. If
you've modified the schema locally, you may need to check over this and
make alterations.

For PostgreSQL
[dspace-1.4.x-source]/etc/database_schema_13-14.sql contains the SQL
commands to achieve this for PostgreSQL. To apply the changes, go to
the source directory, and run:

psql -f etc/database_schema_13-14.sql [DSpace database name] -h
localhost

For Oracle
[dspace-1.4.x-source]/etc/oracle/database_schema_13-14.sql should be
run on the DSpace database to update the schema.

Rebuild the search indices:

[dspace]/bin/index-all

Copy the .war Web application files in [dspace-1.4-source]/build to the
webapps sub-directory of your servlet container (e.g. Tomcat). e.g.:

cp [dspace-1.4-source]/build/*.war [tomcat]/webappsIf you're using
Tomcat, you need to delete the directories corresponding to the old
.war files. For example, if dspace.war is installed in
[tomcat]/webapps/dspace.war, you should delete the
[tomcat]/webapps/dspace directory. Otherwise, Tomcat will continue to
use the old code in that directory.

Restart Tomcat.

---------------------

I am not a technical person, but I think that these might help.
Also I think if you post the specific problem you encounter, it is more
likley someone can help you.

Thanks

Swarna Bandara

Darryl Strachan wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have been trying for some time to wrap my head around how to get LDAP
to work with DSpace 1.4.2.
>I find it strange because unlike everything else related to DSpace,
LDAP is not extensively documented and I've seen so many different
forums with varying views, problems and solutions. Is there anyone who
can point me in the right direction? Any help would be greatly
appreciated.