[Dspace-general] permissions to modify permissions

Conal Tuohy conal.tuohy at vuw.ac.nz
Fri May 2 02:25:08 EDT 2008

One thing that's always struck me as odd about DSpace's permission
system is that it doesn't seem possible for anyone but the administrator
to modify the permissions on an item.

Is this actually the case, or am I mistaken?

Assuming I understand it correctly, can anyone comment on why it is the
case? Is there a rationale for the omission of this feature, or is just
a historical accident?

Shouldn't it be possible for a collection admin to be assigned this
ability? It's quite a common feature in many access controlled
environments (i.e. a "modify permissions" permission).

What do others think? I am interested in adding this feature (I won't
list here the reasons since I think they should be obvious).

Finally, can anyone who's hacked on DSpace's authorisation system before
provide a hint as to what's involved?

Thanks!!

Con

PS apologies for the cross-posting - it wasn't clear which forum these
questions are best confined to. :-)
--
Conal Tuohy
New Zealand Electronic Text Centre