[Dspace-general] Authorizing users to submit to a collection

Harish Maringanti harish at ksu.edu
Fri Mar 21 14:30:04 EDT 2008

Hi all (with due apologies for cross posting),

At K-State, we have been using Dspace for managing Electronic thesis &
dissertations. We want to start collecting research publications from
faculty and organize them into collections based on their department
affiliations. We have a central campus authentication system to verify user
credentials but we are not sure yet if we can get their department
affiliation for authorization. This would mean restricting users to submit
to collections would have to be done in some other way.

How are others managing user access for submitting to a collection? If there
is a good external authorization system then this could be automated. But in
its absence, do you manually add eperson to authorized groups or do you just
show all the collections in dspace & let users pick which one to submit to
or do you do it any other way? Would members of this group please share
their approach.

Best,
Harish

Harish Maringanti