[Dspace-general] Google summer of code projects 2008

Michele Kimpton michele at dspace.org
Tue Mar 11 16:53:23 EDT 2008

The DSpace Foundation has registered with Google to participate in
this years Google summer of code internship.  The DSpace community
participated last year with much success in generating and completing
four interesting projects which potentially would be useful to the
community at large.   The purpose of participation is to potentially
build some exciting add-ons for the platform but also promote the open
source software and building a community of "future" developers
worldwide interested in OSS and advancing open access to to scholarly
digital works.

We would like to encourage users and developers in the community to
post their ideas for projects on the wiki:
http://wiki.dspace.org/index.php?title=Summer_of_Code_Ideas_2008

To see ideas from 2007 for reference:
http://wiki.dspace.org/index.php?title=Summer_of_Code_Ideas

We need to get all ideas posted by MARCH 24th, as this is when the
ideas need to be submitted to google as possible projects for interns
to review.

We have identified mentors in the community for 5 or 6 projects,
however if you would like to be a mentor on the project you proposed,
and are an active developer in the community please identify your
interest in mentoring on the wiki page.

Ideally the projects proposed are well defined, can be developed as an
add-on, and can work with the current platform 1.5.

thanks, Michele Kimpton