[Dspace-general] Researcher Pages

Tim Donohue tdonohue at uiuc.edu
Wed Mar 5 12:09:02 EST 2008

Sandy (and others interested),

Here's a little "history" of the Research Pages, or at least as much as
I know:

The "Researcher Pages" were initially created by the University of
Rochester around the time of DSpace 1.3.x (although it may have even
been a little earlier).

Around the time I started working with DSpace (which was around when
1.3.2 was released), I had contacted Nate Sarr of Rochester to get an
updated copy of the "Researcher Pages".  With his help, I was able to
get things up and running pretty easily, and I actually was able to help
fix some small bugs and provide code back into the Researcher Pages.

A few years ago now, Nate moved off to a different position and asked if
I could take on the role of maintaining the Researcher Pages.  I
accepted that role for the time being, and helped to maintain them and
bring them forward into DSpace 1.4.1 (see below patch):

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1648129&group_id=19984&atid=319984

However, as the Researcher Pages have not been widely used here at U of
Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, we've made a decision that we will *not*
be moving them into the new DSpace 1.5 architecture & the new Manakin
interface (the work to do so would be too large, and I honestly haven't
the time).

As there seems to still be some interest in the "Researcher Pages", I'm
hoping someone else will take up support of them.  But, at this point, I
honestly don't know of any likely candidates as I don't know who is
still using them (besides Rochester and UIUC).  Hopefully this thread
will help generate more discussion and find a new "home" for the
Researcher Pages!

Feel free to let me know if you have questions on this bit of history.
I'm glad to help someone take over the role of maintaining the
Researcher Pages.  But, as mentioned, I unfortunately would not be able
to provide time in migrating them to 1.5 or Manakin.

- Tim

Sandy De Groote wrote:
> I have had difficulty finding dspace code / fix for adding the
> functionality of "researcher pages" to dspace (someplace where
> researchers can talk about their interests and research).   Is this
> something that anyone is currently supporting and has code for - or is
> this an idea that never really took off?
> Sandy

Tim Donohue
Research Programmer, Illinois Digital Environment for
Access to Learning and Scholarship (IDEALS)
135 Grainger Engineering Library

email: tdonohue at uiuc.edu
web:   http://www.ideals.uiuc.edu
phone: (217) 333-4648