[Dspace-general] IR vs. Subject

Michele Kimpton michele at dspace.org
Fri Jun 6 13:48:06 EDT 2008

HI Beth,

I can not directly answer your question, but I did want to let you
know that Policyarchive.net is a DSpace instance with Manakin.  Why
not have the content deposited in both?  Maybe you can even use SWORD
to facilitate this.  The IR being the "steward" of the content and
PolicyArchive having a rich collection of subject based documents.  It
is also a good preservation strategy to have the same document in
different geographical locations under different management regimes.

best, Michele

Hi,

I have just run into my first case where I am finding our IR in
competition with a Subject Repository. I've been working with an
institutional center which is outside of our university but very
closely affiliated with it. We were about to make some final
decisions about community and collection development when my contact
discovered a new Subject Repository supporting the type of research
conducted at their Center and wants to explore this alternative
before committing to submitting their work to our university repository.

http://www.policyarchive.net/index.php

I am wondering if others have run into this dilemma and can provide
me with many good reasons why submission should take place in and
institutional repository rather than a subject repository?

Also, as a side question, I know you can item map within your own
DSpace instance, but is it possible to item map to another DSpace
instance?

Thanks for the feedback,
Beth Tillinghast