[Dspace-general] Excel Batch Import Tool

Thomas A McGee mcgeetho at shu.edu
Mon Jul 28 09:32:07 EDT 2008

Speaking of making batch-importing more accessible, I've put together an
Excel spreadsheet that does a lot of the preparatory work. It was inspired
by the work the people at Nanyang Technological University had done, using
a spreadsheet that held the metadata and running it as a data source
through a Java application. My addition is to make it work completely
within Excel.

A user will build their directory structure and populate it with the
bitstreams:

parent directory
>>subdirectory
>>subdirectory

And then fill out the columns and rows of the spreadsheet corresponding to
each subdirectory. Run the macro, and the dublin_core.xml and contents
files are generated and put into their corresponding subdirectories.

If you'd like to take a look at this work-in-progress drop me a line and
I'll send it to you. I've only tested in on Excel 2003 running on XP.
There are still a lot of refinements I want to do to make it easier, and
also function things like handling bundles.

You still have to use the command-line tool; this just prepares the
necessary directory.

Tom McGee
Seton Hall University TLTC
973 761 9000 x5021