[Dspace-general] Display/render pdf as image

Shane Beers sbeers at gmu.edu
Tue Jul 8 09:25:49 EDT 2008

Panagiotis:

While that kind of solution might be technically possible with some
hacking outside of DSpace, it is very much moving away from one of the
fundamental points of an Institutional Repository, which is open
access to research information. By making the material in the
repository not available for public copy or downloading, it's putting
a barrier in place that is more-or-less philosophically opposed to the
goals of most repositories.

If you do wish to keep material private, there are better solutions
for a closed/dark archive than DSpace. Your budget and technological
skills are the limiting factors, of course.

Shane Beers
Digital Repository Services Librarian
George Mason University
sbeers at gmu.edu