[Dspace-general] Cannot delete collections from Dspace

Filippos Kolovos filippos at uom.gr
Wed Jan 9 08:47:16 EST 2008

Dear all,

Recently I am dealing with a problem with my Dspace installation (1.4.2).
When I try to delete a collection and/or community from Dspace
the system returns an "Internal Server Error". The explanation
of this error is shown below:

Exception:
org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR: update or delete on "item" violates foreign key constraint "$1" on "dcvalue"

at org.postgresql.util.PSQLException.parseServerError(PSQLException.java:139)
at org.postgresql.core.QueryExecutor.executeV3(QueryExecutor.java:152)
at org.postgresql.core.QueryExecutor.execute(QueryExecutor.java:100)
at org.postgresql.core.QueryExecutor.execute(QueryExecutor.java:43)
at org.postgresql.jdbc1.AbstractJdbc1Statement.execute(AbstractJdbc1Statement.java:517)
at org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2Statement.execute(AbstractJdbc2Statement.java:50)
at org.postgresql.jdbc1.AbstractJdbc1Statement.executeUpdate(AbstractJdbc1Statement.java:273)
at org.apache.commons.dbcp.DelegatingPreparedStatement.executeUpdate(DelegatingPreparedStatement.java:101)
at org.apache.commons.dbcp.DelegatingPreparedStatement.executeUpdate(DelegatingPreparedStatement.java:101)
at org.dspace.storage.rdbms.DatabaseManager.updateQuery(DatabaseManager.java:519)
etc, etc

The exact reason for this error seems to be that the collection id is referenced from another table, but isn't that what the
system is supposed to do when deleting a community/collection? Shouldn't all the relations be deleted and/or get handled by
the Dspace system?

If I go manually into the Postgres and delete all the "relations" of one collection by hand then the items related to that collection remain
in the tables. I then have to do the "manual deletion" process by hand for each item, something which is not very efficient when dealing
with thousands of records (items).

Does anyone have had this problem before?

Kind Regards,

-Fk

--
Filippos Kolovos