[Dspace-general] Best practices for handling multiple related files

Ari Davidow aridavidow at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 10:05:54 EST 2008

We are just starting up a dspace archive for oral histories and I am making
my way through the dspace wiki to understand best practices.

One question, in particular, needs to be resolved before we can proceed.
Each oral history has at least two pieces--an audio file (sometimes more
than one) and a transcript relating to that file. In addition, there may be
subsets of that master file (clips, podcasts) with related bits of the
transcript.

What is best practice for putting these items in the archive? If we upload
each item as its own element, that's great and enables us to capture all of
the file-specific metadata appropriately, but would mean re-entering general
metadata (e.g., noting the interviewer and interviewee, where the interview
took place, the interviewee's bio, key words related to the interview, etc.)

If we upload files together, then how do we capture file-specific info (e.g.,
"extent" or filetype, checksum, etc.)

Am I missing this is an obvious place in the online docs? If not, what
practices are people using?

Many thanks,
Ari Davidow