[Dspace-general] Language switcher

Grace Wiersma gwiersma at MIT.EDU
Thu Feb 21 13:41:59 EST 2008

Hi Simon,

Excuse me if I am misunderstanding. Your post sounds as if you are having trouble with locale settings which are set up at your workstation to handle your regular language needs, but which are evoking an unwanted language interface automatically upon startup of DSpace, whereas what you want is a choice of interface language from a default English startup? (Or, was it that you want the option to point at "parallel" or alternate content/metadata in another language, which might be considered providing two simultaneous versions of a "single" resource within your DSpace repository?)

I cannot offer any help--sorry--but am interested in both issues. Can you clarify (in case I misunderstood your post) and also summarize the responses to your query, perhaps explaining how you go about resolving this?

I have issues with installed East Asian text services/locale settings, which on some of my workstations remain in the background until called (as they should), but on some, cause programs/applications to display an East Asian-language interface upon startup. This may explain my curiosity about your query.

Thank you!

Grace Wiersma
Cataloging & Metadata Services
MIT Libraries
gwiersma at mit.edu
(617) 253-0643

-----Original Message-----
From: dspace-general-bounces at MIT.EDU [mailto:dspace-general-bounces at MIT.EDU] On Behalf Of Simon Mitschke
Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2008 11:32 AM
To: DSpace Mailingliste
Subject: [Dspace-general] Language switcher

Hello Community,

I tried to figure out how it is possible to set up my DSpace 1.4.2 with
a language switcher on the page. I googled a lot, but didn't found a
good answer.
I downloaded already the messages.properties for german. So I want to
have a german and english switch option.
When I start my DSpace it shows up in german (because of my german browser)
What must I do?

Ciao Simon