[Dspace-general] PDF/A

Shane Beers sbeers at gmu.edu
Fri Feb 8 09:27:59 EST 2008

Beth:

When I first arrived here, I was interested in attempting to
standardize the use of PDF/A, especially for our ETD collections where
the submissions were far more controllable.

The major hurdle is that all content of the PDF/A must be embedded
into the document itself - this can become an impossibility if the
person creating the PDF is someone who does not know how to correctly
embed everything. You would be surprised (or maybe you wouldn't...)
how fairly simple technology can confuse even PhD students.

That also creates a limitation of the content of the PDF/A's - as of
now they can not contain things like multimedia objects. This may not
be a real concern of yours, but it's of note.

Additionally, the conversion from regular PDFs to PDF/A is often
impossible, as the information in the PDF was not embedded in the
first place, and you no longer have things like the original font and
so on.

Know that this is only my cursory findings, and not gleaned from a
deep investigation on my part. You may wish to investigate it
yourself. Essentially what I'm saying is - it will probably work quite
well in an extremely structured workflow. Outside of that, you may
have many issues to overcome!

Shane Beers
Digital Repository Services Librarian
George Mason University