[Dspace-general] New Version (2.0) of the DSpace Statistics Add-on

Eloy Rodrigues eloy at sdum.uminho.pt
Thu Feb 7 08:55:44 EST 2008

Apologies for cross-posting

I’m glad to announce that the RepositóriUM team at Minho University has
finished the documentation and packaging off a new version of the DSpace
Statistics Add-on, which we already use in our Repository for 2 months.

This Add-on (see description below) is available at:
<http://wiki.dspace.org/StatisticsAddOn>
http://wiki.dspace.org/StatisticsAddOn

The original purpose of the Statistics Add-on was to promote RepositóriUM
and author self(or mediated)-archiving, by demonstrating the worldwide
accessibility and usage (access/downloads) of archived documents. We also
wanted to provide usage, content and administrative statistics to IR and
community/collection administrators or coordinators.

The Statistics System is an add-on to the  <http://www.dspace.org> DSpace
platform that allows gathering, processing and presenting usage, content and
administrative statistics. Despite the fact that its development was done to
meet the specific needs of  <https://repositorium.sdum.uminho.pt>
RepositóriUM, the system is completely adjustable to other environments as
its components can easily be configured, changed or extended, to respond to
different information needs.

With the release of the version 2.0 of the Stats System the main focus was
solving some problems and limitations of version 1.1, primarily the:

*	Increasing degradation of performance/response time as the usage and
the period of the log information grew;
*	Rigidity of the statistics definition and structure of the Web
interface;
*	Poor layout and data presentation (e.g. Inexistence of charts;
reduced navigation and limited data presentation).

Important features of the version 2.0 of the Statistics add-on are:

*	Customizable statistics
*	Customizable web interface
*	Customizable access policies
*	Data stored in database
*	Access origin detection and processing
*	Crawler exclusion
*	Real time/Batch statistics
*	Temporal data aggregations
*	Dimensional aggregations (e.g. Country, Document type, etc.)
*	Charts
*	Multilanguage support

You can see the implementation of the Add-on in RepositóriUM
(https://repositorium.sdum.uminho.pt <https://repositorium.sdum.uminho.pt/>
) where the general (IR level) access/download statistics
(https://repositorium.sdum.uminho.pt/stats?level=general
<https://repositorium.sdum.uminho.pt/stats?level=general&type=access&page=do
wnviews-series> &type=access&page=downviews-series) and individual
access/download statistics (eg, http://hdl.handle.net/1822/4803) are
publicly available.

Best Regards,

Eloy Rodrigues

Universidade do Minho - Serviços de Documentação

Campus de Gualtar, 4710-057 Braga

Tel: +351 253 60 41 50; Fax - 253 60 41 59

Campus de Azurém, 4800-058 Guimarães

Tel: +351 253 51 01 19; Fax - 253 51 01 17