[Dspace-general] Statistics

Thomas A McGee mcgeetho at shu.edu
Fri Aug 29 13:01:28 EDT 2008

I missed the chat the other day, so some of this may have been covered and
dismissed already.

Tomcat has the capacity to output Apache-style "combined" log files for
all requests, including bitstreams. There's a whole host of commercial,
shareware and freeware products out there designed to slice-and-dice these
Apache log files and pull out all the kinds of reports people seem to be
talking about here.

The programs range from the very simple, like Analog, to the extremely
complex and expensive, like WebTrends Enterprise. They can be configured
to download the log files automatically and run reports on a schedule, so
that they're there when you come in in the morning. They can incorporate
various filters, resolve user IP addresses, analyze request URL paths
(which can be translated into collection and community names), referers,
logged-in users, user agents, etc. etc.

Rather than reinvent the wheel (and this is an extremely complex wheel),I
think for most users it would pay to look at this approach unless there is
something really esoteric about your traffic that you are trying to get
at.

Tom McGee
Seton Hall University TLTC
973 761 9000 x5021