[Dspace-general] [Dspace-tech] Question one: What's working and what isn't?

Mark H. Wood mwood at IUPUI.Edu
Wed Aug 20 15:59:12 EDT 2008

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 12:11:12PM -0700, Mark Diggory wrote:
> In the past I recommended moving dspace-general to the SF site to
> assure that its is clearly identified with the DSpace foundation and
> community rather than MIT Libraries.

A data point:  I had forgotten that dspace-general even existed, since
it wasn't visible at SF, until it was recently mentioned on
dspace-devel.  Housing all of the lists together sounds good to me.
(OTOH the SF list archive navigation tools are awful!)

> dspace-commit at sf    -->   dspace-admin at sf

Um, dspace-admin sounds like "for discussion of administration of
DSpace installations".  That's certainly not what a commit list is
for.  ???

> I am concerned that the spawning off of new discussion/chat/email
> lists is undermining the communities ability to maintain a
> centralized and clearly transparent mechanism for communication.

A particular problem with chats is that there is no record of any
progress made there unless someone is logging.  May I suggest that, in
any chat, when consensus or other significant progress is reached,
there be a call for a volunteer to write up a summary thereof and post
it to a mailing list or the wiki, so that it can be referred back to
later or discovered by those not present in the chat.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mwood at IUPUI.Edu
Typically when a software vendor says that a product is "intuitive" he