[Dspace-general] DSpace development priorities: starting a discussion

Valorie Hollister val at dspace.org
Wed Aug 6 22:37:53 EDT 2008

Dorothea -

I believe this effort would be very worthwhile and consistent with
many of the upcoming initiatives the Foundation has been working on
(DSpace Global Outreach Cmte, implementation of Jira for feature
requests/tracking, DSpace repository
manager meeting at SPARC in November, and discussion forums on
www.dspace.org, etc). I would very much like to be involved in the
discussions you are suggesting and look forward to hearing from the
DSpace community.

Valorie Hollister
Community Outreach Manager
DSpace Foundation

Greetings, DSpace community,

For some time, I've been concerned that the DSpace development process
hasn't enjoyed as much input from the broader community as would be
desirable. The voices of less-technical repository managers and other
staff associated with DSpace repositories have been particularly
difficult to attract to the discussion. I'm hoping to gather
impressions and suggestions from this specific segment of the
community (though others are welcome as well!) to pass on to DSpace
developers. With any luck, this process will build a stronger
connection between developers and repository managers going forward.

The DSpace development-priority survey done in 2007 was valuable and
worthwhile, and if possible, I'd like to revisit some of the questions
raised there. I'd also like to start "in your own words" discussions
about what repository managers want and need from DSpace that it isn't
yet providing.

We can certainly talk here, and I welcome that! More than one DSpace
developer has agreed to monitor these discussions, and I will be
summarizing them back to the development list. But I'm completely open
to other venues as well -- IM, group chat, Web 2.0, Skype, out-of-band
email -- depending on what people tell me they want.

So. How would you like to do this? Once we've sorted out the process,
we can get down to business. Feel free to contact me off-list if you
prefer.

Dorothea

Dorothea Salo dsalo at library.wisc.edu
Digital Repository Librarian AIM: mindsatuw
University of Wisconsin
Rm 218, Memorial Library
(608) 262-5493