[Dspace-general] [Dspace-tech] migrate data to 1.5

Mark Diggory mdiggory at MIT.EDU
Sun Aug 3 00:12:17 EDT 2008

John,

Please follow the upgrade instructions supplied for upgrading DSpace
1.4.2 to 1.5 (page 50).  The upgrade process described in the
documentation will take you through the appropriate steps to convert
the DSpace postgres database from 1.4.2 to 1.5

http://www.dspace.org/images/onepointfivedocs/dspacemanual_15_may.zip

On Aug 1, 2008, at 11:45 AM, John Furfey wrote:

> We're in the process of upgrading from 1.4.2 to 1.5, and we're also
> moving to a new server.
>
> We've got 1.5 up and running and we're trying to figure out the
> best way of migrating our data.  Is it possible to do a pg_dump
> from the 1.4.2 server and do a pg_restore on the 1.5 server?  Or
> will 1.5's new db schema prevent this?

You do not want to attempt to do it in this order. The upgrade
process supplies a SQL script (database_schema_14-15.sql) to make the
necessary changes to your existing database to upgrade from 1.4.2 to
1.5, you do not need to do a fresh install of an empty DSpace
instance and migrate your data into it.  I also highly recommend
using dp_dump/psql to create a copy of your database and install a
replica of your dspace installation on another machine to properly
"test" that the upgrade process will work successfully for your
product server before attempting it there.  This will also give you
an opportunity to become familiar with the upgrade process before
doing it against a mission critical instance.

To backup a postgres database instance on linux the we use the
following command/options

> pg_dump --oids -U dspace -f dspace-backup.sql [dspace-db-name]

Where [dspace-db-name] is the name of your dspace database in the
postgres cluster (usually this is "dspace" by default).  To restore
the backup to the same location,

> psql -U dspace -d [dspace-db-name] < dspace-backup.sql

or to the same name on another machine where you do not already have
the database or dspace user created, you would do.

> createuser -U postgres -d -A -P dspace
> createdb -U dspace -E UNICODE [dspace-db-name]
> psql -U dspace -d [dspace-db-name] < dspace-backup.sql

> Thanks for any response, I have not been able to find any
> documentation for this scenario.

Certainly do feel free to post any questions about how to handle your
upgrade properly with the dspace-tech list. We in the community who
have worked on creating this upgrade process would like to assure
your switch to 1.5.0 is a success.

-Mark

Mark R. Diggory - DSpace Developer and Systems Manager
MIT Libraries, Systems and Technology Services
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Home Page: http://purl.org/net/mdiggory/homepage