[Dspace-general] FW: DSpace 1.5 training / online documentation

Munro, LG, Mr <munrol@sun.ac.za> munrol at sun.ac.za
Tue Apr 15 02:17:41 EDT 2008

Dear Dspace community,

I sincerely have to agree with Dr Kataria.  I am very dis-hearted by the
fact that so much have been going with the new release of Dspace 1.5,
but one thing has been seriously lacking.  There aren't any proper
installation guides available for 1.5, anywhere!!  Even the dspace web
site still points to version 1.4 only.

We would like to get settled in on the new 1.5 version asap, but get
stuck with the maven part of the installation, and that is basically
that....  It simply doesn't want to install - so what do I do now?  IRC
channel is very quiet, possible because of the time zone.  I have
connected directly through ADSL, but still no go.  The release notes
only outlines the steps, but no details on trouble shooting steps are
provided.  The dspace.org website install notes haven't been updated
yet.  I cry out to the mountains....

Please see this email as an indication that people out there seriously
want to use the system, test it, install it, and try it out.  BUT with
new features and very little in available documentation or online help,
it just makes it very, very hard.  Conferences are great, but only a few
will be able to attend and benefit.  Somebody, please make documentation
available online.

Kind regards,

Laurence