[Dspace-general] Change displayed item metadata (XMLUI)

Dorothea Salo dsalo at library.wisc.edu
Mon Apr 7 12:48:02 EDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 11:30 AM,  <vg_us at hotmail.com> wrote:
(Copying to dspace-tech list; further discussion probably belongs there.)

> Hello...
>  .. and help!
>
>  I trying to find a way to change displayed item metadata in simple item
>  view.
>  I'm using Manakin. Now - i know there is a way to do it for JSPUI (Change
>  displayed item metadata (JSP)
>  http://wiki.dspace.org/index.php/Change_displayed_item_metadata_%28JSP%29)
>  But how do i do it for XMLUI?

First, build a new theme.

Next, go into dri2xhtml/DS-METS-1.0-DIM.xsl and copy the
<xsl:template> whose name attribute is
"itemSummaryView_DS-METS-1.0-DIM" into your theme's XSL.

Now you need to add or subtract table rows based on the metadata you
do/don't want to see. A typical table row looks like this:

class="bold"><i18n:text>xmlui.dri2xhtml.METS-1.0.item-description</i18n:text>:</span></td>
select="$data/dim:field[@element='description' and
not(@qualifier)]/child::node()"/></td>

This is a lot of gobbledygook, but the general idea is to change the
@element and @qualifier tests to whatever it is you need, adding text
to your messages.xml as needed for the <i18n:text> element.

I strongly recommend not differentiating even and odd table rows in
your design if at all possible! What leaving them out lets you do is
slap <xsl:if> statements around the whole row to test whether a
metadata item even EXISTS before you display it.

I hope this gets you started.

Dorothea

Dorothea Salo dsalo at library.wisc.edu
Digital Repository Librarian AIM: mindsatuw
University of Wisconsin
Rm 218, Memorial Library
(608) 262-5493