[Dspace-general] Internal error when trying to create a community

Shomorony, Ilan ilan at WPI.EDU
Wed Apr 2 09:29:12 EDT 2008

Hi,

I'm new to DSpace, but I believe I've followed all the steps in the installation process alright, and I can open DSpace in my browser with no problem.
However, when I try to create a new community, I get the following error:

HTTP Status 500 - type Exception report

message

description The server encountered an internal error () that prevented it from fulfilling this request.

exception

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class org.dspace.search.DSIndexer
        org.dspace.content.Community.update(Community.java:441)
        org.dspace.app.webui.servlet.admin.EditCommunitiesServlet.processConfirmEditCommunity(EditCommunitiesServlet.java:410)
        org.dspace.app.webui.servlet.admin.EditCommunitiesServlet.doDSPost(EditCommunitiesServlet.java:230)
        org.dspace.app.webui.servlet.DSpaceServlet.processRequest(DSpaceServlet.java:147)
        org.dspace.app.webui.servlet.DSpaceServlet.doPost(DSpaceServlet.java:105)
        javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:710)
        javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:803)
        org.dspace.app.webui.filter.AdminOnlyFilter.doFilter(AdminOnlyFilter.java:103)

note The full stack trace of the root cause is available in the Apache Tomcat/5.5.26 logs.

I don't really know where to start from in trying to solve this... Can anyone help me?
And is there any other way to create a community? other than the website?

Thank you!