[Dspace-general] change dspace.url

Christian Voelker C.Voelker at gmx.net
Tue Sep 25 10:30:53 EDT 2007

Hello,

Am 25.09.2007 um 13:48 schrieb Gay:

> I  have a problem to  use an URL without port number

This one is for dspace-tech.

> but now I want use an URL without port number
>    example   http://archive.site.fr
                ^^^^

Then you have to run your server on the standard
port number where your browser expects an answer
when pointed to an http service:

$ cat /etc/services | grep www
#       http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers
http             80/udp     www www-http # World Wide Web HTTP
http             80/tcp     www www-http # World Wide Web HTTP

So what happens when you point your browser to
your address? Does it time out? Does it show e.g.
a generic Apache page? It might be that there is
another server already running on port 80. In
this case you have to decide whether you want
to stop that server. You will probably have to
change your init scripts accordingly depending
on the platform you are running on.

Second, you have to run tomcat on port 80. It
is as simpple as removing two numbers from your
server.xml and restarting B U T dont do that
without knowing what you are doing. Tomcat is
not intended to run publicly in its default
setup. E.g. The server just wont restart with
that change because port 80 is a privileged
port. You would have to run as root which is
really a bad idea. Apache is started by a
wrapper script to prevent this and this is
the way to go with tomcat too. The wrapper
has to be installed separately though and
is called commons-daemon. No, you are not
done with this, you should also think about
using the Apache portable runtime apr for
various reasons.

>   <!-- Define a non-SSL HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 8080 -->
>      <Connector port="8081" maxHttpHeaderSize="8192"
                          ^^
>                 maxThreads="150" minSpareThreads="25"
> maxSpareThreads="75"
>                 enableLookups="true"  acceptCount="100"
>                 connectionTimeout="20000" disableUploadTimeout="true"
> URIEncoding="UTF-8" />

The setup described before is not the common
solution. Most people prefer to integrate with
Apache using mod-jk. This works flawlessly when
running Apache2 but has some intricacies if you
are still running Apache 1.3 (which is fine other-
wise). Also, you have to configure tomcat logging
to get comparable information about server usage
as with apache default install. That said, what
you want is not for beginners and your question
makes clear that you still have a long way ahead.
Admin is not something you become overnight. I am
not proficient in french, but your address points
to an institute where you should be able to get
the kind of support you need to do what you want.
If this is all for testing and learning, my best
advice is that you stick with the port number.
If you are willing to learn you will know when
your time has come to run a public service on
your own.

Bye, Christian