[Dspace-general] Failure on new 1.4.2 ant fresh_install - SOLVED!!

Christian Voelker C.Voelker at gmx.net
Tue Sep 11 17:26:49 EDT 2007

Hello,

Am 11.09.2007 um 15:03 schrieb Munro, LG, Mr <munrol at sun.ac.za>:

> WELL DONE Christian!!!

Thanks. Glee.

> I find it odd that on the very same VMware machine 1.3.2 compiled just
> fine... but there you go.

The build.xml was changed between 1.3.2 and 1.4.2 just as many other
source files. That is what developers do. Now take look into *what*
they had changed:

<http://dspace.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/dspace/branches/
dspace-1_4_x/dspace/build.xml?r1=1410&r2=1780&pathrev=1780>

You see that the block containing the regex was introduced then.
Obviously, the regex functionality had not been used anywhere before.
Just as the other fourty or fifty features mentioned in your
diagnostics output that were missing on your system. As long as they
did not get used and diagnostics were not run, you just could not see
that these modules were missing. But you had a partial install of ant
already then.

There is no fault with anybody involved. Developers tell ant to be
a requirement. If you download ant from the ant homepage, you get
a complete ant as with most package managers. Debian/Ubuntu is
different in that regard and the developers using other systems
are not due to know that. As a user of Ubuntu, you have to find
out about the specifics of this great platform. And in the end,
although obviously not commonly used, the software works with
your setup. Thats great I think (well its Java, too).

Bye, Christian