[Dspace-general] [Dspace-tech] Development goals

Christophe Dupriez christophe.dupriez at destin.be
Fri Nov 16 03:40:33 EST 2007

Dear Michele (copy to the community),

May be I am basically wrong seing DSpace as a community of practice
making a tool to promote the dissemination of the "good" Open
Repositories practices.
If I understand correctly your plans, DSpace is primarly a community of
developpers where users requirements are tackled inside individual
institutions and "mostly technical" problems are shared outside. I am
sorry that my "dream" is different but I will play the "real game" ! I
will follow the Claudia Juergen's advice: "Small contributions are
beautiful".

To be constructive and pragmatic, my main technical challenge remains:
adding "thesaurus based" query expansion to DSpace to be able to mimic
PubMed searches exhaustivity and precision in DSpace (we now have 75
thousands documents in our internal repository. MeSH is 30 thousands
subjects headings). I will keep focused on this.

Have a nice day!

Christophe