[Dspace-general] DSpace: "digital" archive or "literature" archive?

Derek Hohls DHohls at csir.co.za
Thu May 31 08:20:15 EDT 2007

I have recently installed and started looking at DSpace as a "digital"
repository.

Background:
I work in a science research organisation.  We are clustered into
hierarchical groups doing "similar" work, but this structure changes and
evolves all the time.  Most of the work we do is in the form of
projects.  Each project tackles a particular subject, with a start/end
date.  As a result of this, any number of digital "objects" are
generated: PDF's, images, presentations, reports, spreadsheets, data
files, model runs outputs, program code, spatial files etc.  Usually,
such material is archived on CD and kept "somewhere".

The organisation does run a formal Document Management System (DMS);
this is typically used for project reports and has the facilities of
document security control, access, version tracking etc.  Its also
integrated into other tools we use.

Problem Statement:
I need to provision a system that can be used a complete "digital"
archive; that stores *all* digital information in an accessible and
easily retrievable manner, with easy uploading/downloading of material
into the archive.

Impression of DSpace:
My early, high expectations of DSpace have been tempered somewhat as I
have started looking at the interface in more detail.  My impression so
far is that DSpace seems designed as primarily for occasional storage of
literature-type of material, within the framework of a stable
organisational framework, whereas I am looking for frequent storage of
widely varying material within a shifting organisational framework,
accompanied by ongoing staff turnover.

I really would like some input from the existing community - especially
those that may have similar experience in this kind of environment,
whether or not DSpace is the tool to use.  In particular, some of the
worrying limits I have seen so far are:
* need for a static hierarchical organisation-based framework for the
information (single vs multiple information categories)
* uploading one item at a time (need to deal with sets of directories,
with automated metadata tagging)
* limited to one set of metadata applied across all digital objects
* no "tree view" of information (most staff are used to the classical
tree/node view of navigation)
* no "ad hoc tagging" facility (social network sites are the fastest
growing on the web, for a good reason)
* no indexing of the content of uploaded files (to enable ad hoc
searches)

Please bear in mind this is from the perspective of my needs - this is
not a criticism of DSpace per se.

Any insights or ideas are appreciated as I need to decide to keep going
or look for alternatives.

Thanks
Derek

views of the CSIR.