[Dspace-general] Request from DSpace Foundation

Michele Kimpton michele at dspace.org
Thu May 10 11:40:47 EDT 2007

Dear DSpace  community,

I have recently accepted the position as Executive Director for the
DSpace foundation.  The foundation will be newly formed non-profit
corporation that will supply organizational, legal and financial
support to the DSpace software project.  I expect  the corporation
will become a legal entity in the next two months, the papers are
currently being filed and a Board of Directors has been established.

Over the next several months I hope to get input from many of you in
the community as to how the foundation can assist the community in
the short and long term.  I plan on putting together a roadmap for
the foundation to outline a plan for the next several years, and
sharing that with you at upcoming conferences and online.

I do have a few projects in the short term I would like to ask for
your help.  We would like to submit all the current public DSpace
sites to Internet Archive for the public two billion page crawl
funded by the Mellon Foundation(find out more at http://
wa.archive.org/aroundtheworld/).  I n order to do this I need a
complete list of sites.  If you have not done so, please add you site
to the DSpace wiki over the next few days at http://wiki.dspace.org/
index.php/DspaceInstances.  Note that you may need to register
yourself to edit the page and if you have problems with that please
let me know.

To announce the formation of the DSpace Foundation and help promote
the DSpace projects we would like your help in coming up with some
success stories, for example, how items have been used in your DSpace
installation to promote further research and collaboration.  We would
also like to know what is the most popular or unique item in your
DSpace installation.  Please email me back with the next two weeks
with your stories and favorite items.  Or you can post on the wiki at
http://wiki.dspace.org/index.php/SuccessStories.

Thank-you for your help, and I look forward to a successful launch of
the new DSpace Foundation.

Sincerely,

Michele Kimpton
Exec Director, DSpace Foundation