[Dspace-general] use of: date.issued and date.copyright

Ingrid Mason Ingrid.Mason at vuw.ac.nz
Sun Mar 11 18:04:23 EDT 2007

Hi,

I am interested to know why the date.issued metadata tag is being
employed by the Dspace user community and how.

>From brief sampling of repositories what I can see there is considerable
variation in how the date format is employed (e.g. YYYY, D-MMM-YYYY,
YYYY-MM) in the date.issued field.

>From what I can ascertain from the workflow date.issued is automatically
attributed a value (current date) if one is not provided (indicating
that the item has been published or distributed prior to being in the
repository or at that point via the repository).

I'll admit, I'm not ultimately convinced of the merits of date.issued as
a tag except that it indicates a prior publishing to open or limited
audiences, or a point (aside from the accessioned date, to indicate that
it is being published/distributed via the repository).  I'd quite like
to be convinced of its merits given it takes effort to remove this from
the record or potentially a reconfiguration of some sort to prevent this
automatic attribution.

I am also interested to know why so few repositories are entering
date.copyright metadata tag (copyright covers both published and
unpublished items).

For those that are employing date.copyright, how are you implementing
it?

Your thoughts/input welcomed.

Regards, Ingrid

fyi.

VUW is in test phase presently, it is anticipated that the following
date metadata will be utilised.

date.accessioned (format "YYYY-MM-DDTHH:MM:SSZ")

date.available (format "YYYY-MM-DDTHH:MM:SSZ")

date.copyright (format "YYYY")

Ingrid Mason

Digital Research Repository Coordinator

New Zealand Electronic Text Centre, University Library

Victoria University of Wellington

P O Box 600, Wellington 6140

New Zealand = Aotearoa

ph: 64-4-463 6844