[Dspace-general] Large-scale DSpace repositories (was Re: Another committer)

Tellier, Stephane stephane.tellier at cgi.com
Thu Mar 1 09:01:09 EST 2007

Thanks Jim for your answers.

> I haven't been involved with the hardware specification for the data
> centres that will be operating, but I could probably get some
> information

Any kind of information would be great.

For our case, we will surely use Oracle for our database because our client (Library and National Archives of Quebec) has an important contract with them.

We already possess a San server with a lot of disk spaces and we intend to build an architecture with at least 4 or 5 servers (see the picture in attachment). The objective here is to isolate the web applications and the import/export and indexation jobs. We also propose in this architecture to install the handle on another different server. Mind that this solution doesn't include any kind of clustering and/or load-balancing since we think that this is something we should do after reaching a certain amount of items because at the beginning, we will probably not have more than 50000 items, essentially images, but some of them are very big, like geographical charts (1 gif could be in the range of 500 MB).

Our digital collections are essentially collections of jpeg or gif images, fully indexable PDFs (5000 to 10000), some collections of audio files (not that much), some collections of video files (not much for now) and periodicals consisting of many PDFs which are not indexable since those are "images" of text and for now, none of them was treated with an OCR tool (that will come up eventually). Periodicals are the collections that could raise up our number to a million items. Note that in the periodicals case, we intend to try to find a solution that will prevent us to repeat the metadatas about a periodical through all the items that will contains the PDF files, obviously for performance reasons (see email in dspace-general about Preserving structured collections :
http://mailman.mit.edu/pipermail/dspace-general/2007-February/001369.html )

Our team will certainly be very interested about DSpace clustering.