[Dspace-general] Google search results bypass metadata records

MacKenzie Smith kenzie at MIT.EDU
Tue Jun 19 15:42:06 EDT 2007

Hi Julie,

This is very interesting... Google Scholar's indexing of item metadata
vs bitstreams has evolved over the years. Early on they thought users
were absolutely not interested in seeing item records -- they want to go
directly to the bitstreams -- but I think that belief has changed and
now they are definitely indexing both item metadata and bitstreams.

In this case, I wasn't able to reproduce the problem in Google Scholar.
I searched by terms that were only in the metadata and only in the PDF,
and in all cases GS took me to the item record first... I couldn't find
a search that took me directly to the bitstream (although I've seen that
behavior in the past). Do you know how your user got to that result?

Anyway, assuming there are still cases where GS takes the user directly
to the bitstream, I think they'd be interested in your feedback. The
particular bitstream you provided is a great example of why a user might
need to go through an item record... the bitstream has absolutely no
embedded metadata or other context to help the user figure out what
they're looking at.

Maybe Rob Tansley can also comment, or we can take this up again with
Anurag at Google Scholar.

MacKenzie

--
MacKenzie Smith