[Dspace-general] Subscripts in Abstracts

Grace Wiersma gwiersma at MIT.EDU
Tue Jun 5 16:06:55 EDT 2007

Martin, Sunny,

Yes! Sorry, my memory was clouded by a time gap since I did that. You are right, there is more to it than cutting and pasting and forcing the process backward, etc.

For fairly predictable results (and assuming you are not doing very recently encoded characters, etc.) you need to input numeric character references directly (the Unicode code point for the subscript or other character, preceded by ampersand, number character, and the letter x). Then forcing the submission process *two/three steps back and one step forward* as we mentioned before will make DSpace process the character property information and output the right character to the screen the next time you see the metadata and abstract.

Since people sometimes talk about things differently there could be other terms for this type of direct input more familiar to you. To clarify the form of what I mean by numeric character references (direct input), here are a couple of examples:
&#x2074 [superscript 4]
&#x00B9 [superscript 1]
&#x207A [superscript plus]

For your workflow, you can create a text or Word file containing the names of all the special characters likely to be needed, associated with their equivalent strings in direct input form (as illustrated above). If you do it in Word, you could show the glyph (what you want to see), followed by the direct input form, followed by its common name in brackets.

Grace Wiersma
Cataloging & Metadata Services
MIT Libraries
gwiersma at mit.edu
(617) 253-0643

-----Original Message-----
From: dspace-general-bounces at MIT.EDU [mailto:dspace-general-bounces at MIT.EDU] On Behalf Of Martin Courtois
Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 3:17 PM
To: Sunyeen Pai
Cc: dspace-general at mit.edu
Subject: Re: [Dspace-general] Subscripts in Abstracts

I've had some success with this approach:

1. Open the abstract in Word.
2. On the Insert menu, select Symbol.
3. Set the font to Arial Unicode MS.  This list has many, but not all
subscripts, superscripts, math symbols, etc.  I'm not sure if it has
italic characters.
4. Select the symbol, then click Insert.
5. Copy/paste the text from Word into DSpace and submit the item.

It's important to insert the character(s) as a symbol.  If I use
Format/Font in Word to display subscripts for example, it won't carry
over into DSpace.

I'm sure I'm missing the root of the issue, but this seems to work in
some instances.

Marty

Martin Courtois
Information Technology Assistance Center
509 Hale Library
Kansas State University
Manhattan KS 66506
Phone: 785 532-4428