[Dspace-general] Repost: DSpace Evaluation Information Request

MacKenzie Smith kenzie at MIT.EDU
Sat Jul 21 17:11:18 EDT 2007

Louis,

To follow up on Christian's response, DSpace was not designed to be a
LOR and it doesn't natively handle the e-learning standards, or
interoperate with the commercial e-learning products, that you list
(especially blackboard/webct). But you can mount DSpace as a content
"resource" in Sakai, to import learning objects into course websites.
We're also working on Sakai -> DSpace export capability for archiving
learning objects and/or course websites.

The only way to deal with e-learning metadata schemas (i.e. SCORM and
IMS LOM) is to archive them as content files with the LOs and
import/export them into external systems for advance search, etc...
that's what we do at MIT for the LOM we get for the OpenCourseWare
websites, and the crosswalking from IMS LOM to qDC worked fine.

There is also an OKI OSID available for DSpace so that it can
interoperate with any e-learning system that supports OKI (that might
help with the Blackboard case).

I can almost guarantee that you will need to do some customization of
DSpace (in java) for whatever application you have in mind, but that's
not especially hard to do.

MacKenzie

--
MacKenzie Smith