[Dspace-general] (no subject)

Michele Kimpton michele at dspace.org
Tue Jul 17 12:25:03 EDT 2007

Dear members of the community,

Today we have officially launched the new foundation, with the
support and help of the HP Press Relations team and MIT Library Press
( they did a fantastic job!).  To coincide with the Foundation
announcement we have redesigned and launched a new DSpace.org
website.  The purpose of redesigning the website was to achieve the
following:

-Give the website broader appeal from those outside or new to the
community

-move it to an opensource platform, called Joomla, so the community
can actually add content once they are registered users ( like news/
events/weblinks).

-Be able to incorporate forums, blogs ect if these become useful to
the community.

The website is in no way intended to replace or duplicate the content
on the wiki.  The wiki is the key place for all the developers and
interactive users to find the most complete sources of information.
The website is just a "lightweight" more organized slice of what the
community at large is doing.

I would welcome any feedback you have, please remember this is a work
in progress, and it was produced in the true- start up fashion- on a
shoe string budget with a few people putting in very long hours.  In
particular I would like to thank Margaret Waters for all her hard
work on this.

If anyone in the community knows Joomla- or is interested in becoming
a content producer on any section of the website- let me know and we
can set you up with access to do so- in the true open source way!

regards,
Michele Kimpton
Exec Director, DSpace Foundation