[Dspace-general] Adding items without bitstreams

Ingrid Mason Ingrid.Mason at vuw.ac.nz
Tue Jul 10 21:10:32 EDT 2007

Hi Halley,

I'm just trawling through old DSpace list messages and saw this. So,
this may be somewhat late in the piece, but, what the heck.

Just thought I'd let you know that we've digitised some theses (loose
leaf).  By no means the number you are looking to work with, i.e. 50.
We compiled the compressed TIFF images in Adobe and ran an OCR process
over them (the text produced by the OCR is incorporated as part of the
PDF created).  DSpace then does its work and creates a bitstream of it.
This was a manual process.  It would be good (if possible) if someone
wrote you some scripts that so this processing could be done
computationally.

One thing though, if you do go the PDF route, the PDF file sizes can
come out fairly large (depending on the resolution, etc of the image
file).  Unless you compress those images further before you convert them
to PDF, at around the 20/25MB (file size range) they won't open in a web
browser.  It's a bug in browsers with large PDFs.

Do let us know what you decide to do.

Cheers, Ingrid